Friday, November 6, 2009

Uncertain

I'm not sure what to do with this scarf...

Green scarf

I'm about two-thirds of the way through Evelyn Clark's 'Wildflower Lace Scarf', but I've lost confidence in it. I admire Evelyn Clark's lace patterns, and I like everything about the yarn I'm using - its softness, its texture and its colour. It's Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock sock yarn in the aptly named Jade.

I'm trying to decide whether I should persist with it, or unravel it. I'm not expecting any advice, and won't undertake to follow any advice I receive, but feel free to comment if you're so inclined.

Why am I uncertain? (another Rudd-like rhetorical question)

* Normally I like patterns that bring together unexpected elements, and I really thought I'd like the regular geometry of the garter stitch combined with the daisy-patterned lace edge. But I'm really not sure it works.
* Maybe the contrast of the lace and garter stitch would work without the added busyness of the variegated colours in the yarn. Maybe this pattern needs a solid colour?
* The straight edge of the scarf has a purlwise slipped stitch to make a chained edging. I've found it impossible to keep the tension of the slipped stitch really even so the resulting edge doesn't have the neatness I would like.
* Because I've knitted this in fits and starts I think the tension of my garter stitch isn't absolutely even, and garter stitch is really only beautiful if it's very even.
* I'm not sure I have enough yarn to finish it!

On the other hand, maybe blocking will remedy the slipped stitch edging and tension problems. It will certainly show the daisy edging to greater advantage. I weighed the yarn so that I would start my decreases at the right stage, so I should have enough yarn to complete it. If the scarf blocks well and if I have enough yarn I'll be left only with doubts about the design - and I might change my mind about that when I see it finished.

Dither, dither...

6 comments:

Rose Red said...

Perhaps you should part block it now, while it's still on the needles - that way you can see whether blocking fixes the things you are uncertain about - and if not, then you can make an informed decision about frogging, or not?

Unknown said...

I'll overdye it for you to lose the variegation if you finish it.

I think it looks great, btw. But I always fall out of love with my knits before I finish them too, so I know how you feel.

Maybe just rest it a little, and come back to it with fresh eyes in a while...

DrK said...

i felt the same about the garter vs lace when i started ishbel but then it just didnt work for me. but it will block well, and i think the yarn looks lovely. which of course is no help at all. but a break is a good idea.

Jan said...

Very pretty colour but I think you're perhaps right about needing a solid colour to show the lace. I've just done my second heart to Heart by same designer. It really needs blocking so try Rosered's suggestion of a partial block. I used Grignasco Bambi and the garter stich shows well in that and knits very evenly.

That said, I like your scarf, it's very fresh looking.

Sel and Poivre said...

As Elizabeth Zimmerman would say,you really are "the boss" of your knitting! I love the fact you're unwilling to simply say "good enough". Work and time already invested do not always justify the continued existence of a knitted piece or the permanent dedication of lovely yarn to something less than ideal. Do let us know what you decide!

missfee said...

step away from the scarf Lyn, put it down for a week come back and see what you feel. Sometimes familiarity is a curse good or bad.
A week away is like a walk around the block to clear your head. Then block it and see if you like it or not