Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Celebrating seventy

I spent considerable time and energy some months ago devising ways of running away from marking my seventieth birthday this year. It's not that I mind getting older - except for the physical aspects of aging, which I resent, I rather like the awareness of history and the diversity of life experiences that come with age. I just didn't want a big fuss about my birthday. The unexpected outcome has been a number of small fusses over some months - a very prolonged birthday celebration that's been very enjoyable. I've had my (birthday) cake, and eaten it too.

Last week I had lunch with some knitting friends after our knitting guild meeting and they absolutely surprised me with the gift of a blanket to which twelve friends had each contributed a knitted strip. Knowing from past experience their need for communication on such projects I can't believe I didn't have an inkling that this project was under way. It was a wonderful surprise.

Chevron blanket

It's made up of chevron stripes in shades of grey with mustard accents. It's a perfect match for my sofa and cushions:

Chevron Blanket with cushions

Grey! stripes! garter stitch! Loft yarn! These are a few of my favourite things...

Chevron blanket folded

My knitting friends clearly know my tastes.

Thanks Ailsa, Alison, Donna, Fee, Jane, Jody, Kris, Kylie, Margaret, Margarita, Sue and Zena. The gift, and the thoughts and work that created it, are greatly appreciated.

10 comments:

Rose Red said...

So pleased that we managed to surprise you!

Sel and Poivre said...

Oh my goodness it is fantastic!!!

Kris said...

Happy belated birthday! And well done to the finishers - it came out even better than I envisaged.

Brendaknits said...

It is beautiful. And I would not have guessed 70.

Cecilia said...

Stunning blanket! And a very happy belated birthday.

DrK said...

#verylyn im so glad you like it, it was so lovely to see the look on your face. happy birthday lovely lyn xx

missfee said...

#verylyn indeed looks great on your couch

Probably Jane said...

Many happy returns. Your friends really do know your tastes - the blanket is very 'you'!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday and such a lovely blanket. Thanks again for the travel pics. I had just finished the latest Arnaldur Indridason book when your pics of Iceland appeared. How timely. Beautiful needlework in Greenland.

Mary

Anonymous said...

What a lovely blanket. And having met you today, I'd have reckoned on a decade less :)